Shards of Silence by Brian Lee Young

    

Where do I begin? My cultural book club I joined at school picked this book for the month of September. It is a young adult novel that truly lets its audience know about Navajo culture. From the first chapter, you learned that our main character, Derek is beyond smart and has achieved enough accolades to qualify for a prestigious boarding school. Indigenous populations for many years were forced into religious based boarding schools so this creates quite a divide in his family. As he learns more about his grandmother and great grandmother's experiences at boarding school, he understands why they are stressed for him to willingly go.
    Each chapter starts with the Navajo language. One insight that I purely enjoyed was that every older woman in your life as an auntie or grandmother. It was reiterated that family is more than just blood ties. I was overcome with emotion as he was telling his story about what school was like with all the white kids at the boarding school. Stereotypical questions and the constant need for validation (his peer's opinions) really did lead our main character astray (as in livid). I'm glad that his character was portrayed as being someone who was resilient and strong. When he stood up for his beliefs to his classmates and really put himself out there to talk about his culture was a very proud moment. I think young readers of all races should have opportunities where they read stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things. 
    I wonder if my students feel like that once they leave the boundary and go off to college away from the reservation? I would highly recommend you read this even if you're not interested in young adult novels. The Navajo nation is the largest indigenous tribe in America. I looked it up earlier to see where they ranked. The only reason I look this up was because we went to a Cherokee at large event hosted in Kennesaw Georgia last week and they mentioned that their tribe, Cherokee Nation, was the second largest tribe in America. 
    Without saying, this book definitely deserves a five out of five stars. Our librarian over the high school really knows how to choose books! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lists 2.0

Lists Again

Lists